2. Information Collected
Information you provide directly to CBS Interactive Web Sites. You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit a CBS Interactive Web Site. CBS Interactive Web Sites may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you register for certain services, access various content or features, or directly contact the Web Site:
• Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, phone number, facsimile number, and mobile number;
• User name, password, and password reminder questions and answers;
• Age and date of birth;
• Other demographic information, such as gender, job information, and zip code;
• Information for a public profile, such as your interests and the address of your web site;
• Communications preferences, such as which newsletters you would like to receive;
• Search queries;
• In limited circumstances, payment and identity verification information, such as credit card number, social security number or comparable national identifiers, and driver's license number where needed for payment or to access a particular service (e.g., contests);
• Contact information about others when you provide information about others or refer a friend to a particular site or service (note: such information is used solely to facilitate the communications requested);
• Information posted in community discussions and other interactive online features;
• Correspondence you send to us; and
• Information collected about you offline (including via facsimile, mail, or in person for sweepstakes entrance forms).
Information we collect automatically on CBS Interactive Websites. CBS Interactive Web Sites may collect certain information automatically, including:
• Your browser type and operating system;
• Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
• Sites you visited before and after visiting a CBS Interactive Web Site;
• Web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within CBS Interactive Web Sites;
• Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
• Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies
• Information about your interactions with video content, such as the type of content viewed, and information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded;
• Upon request, your bandwidth speed and information about the software programs installed on your computer; and
• Standard server log information.
Information we obtain from other sources. Where permitted by applicable law, we may collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (such as mobile devices, third-party services, and embedded video players), from co-branded partners and sites (for example, on our pages on Facebook), and from commercially available sources (such as data aggregators and public databases). The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
• Name, postal address, and telephone number;
• Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
• If you access third-party services (such as Facebook, Google or Twitter) through a CBS Interactive Web Site, or if you access a CBS Interactive Web Site via a third-party service, your username and password for those services and other information available about or collected from you on those services, as described in our overview of third-party social networking services
• Your interests and purchase behavior;
• Publicly-observed data, such as activities on blogs, videos, and other online postings; and
• Other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
Combining Information. Please note that all of the information we collect about you may be combined, including to help us tailor our communications to you and to develop rich online content and services across the CBS Interactive Web Sites.
3. Use of Information
We only use payment and identity verification information, such as credit card numbers, driver's license numbers, social security numbers, or comparable national identifiers as necessary for completing a particular transaction or fulfilling a service (e.g., paid subscriptions or awarding prizes to contest winners) or as otherwise required by law.
We generally use other information we collect about you to:
• Fulfill your requests for products, services, and information, including to send you electronic newsletters, authorize a purchase, and complete a transaction that you have requested;
• Enable you to participate in features such as surveys, polls, sweepstakes, and message boards;
• Provide you with electronic newsletters, information, special offers and promotional materials on behalf of CBS Interactive Web Sites, companies within our corporate family, and third parties, in accordance with applicable law;
• Analyze the use of CBS Interactive Web Sites and information about visitors to our Web Sites to understand and improve our service offerings and, in accordance with our sharing policies, discussed below, to produce anonymous or aggregated data and statistics that might help third parties develop their own products and service offerings;
• Customize the content you see when you visit a CBS Interactive Web Site;
• Develop and provide advertising tailored to your interests, as described in our overview of CBS Interactive online advertising;
• For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
4. Disclosure of Information
CBS Interactive is committed to maintaining your trust and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share information collected about you.
• With your consent. With your consent, we may share your contact information with third-party business partners. For example, CBS Interactive Web Sites such as ZDNet.com and BNET.com offer free access to relevant services (e.g., webcasts and white papers) if you agree to have your information shared with third parties so they can contact you about related products and services.
• Authorized third-party service providers. We share your information with third-party vendors who help us with specialized services, including customer support, email and text message deployment, business analytics, marketing, and data processing. These third parties are allowed to use your information to help us provide our services and not for any other purpose.
• Sweepstakes, contests, or promotions. When you choose to enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, and in accordance with the terms and conditions of the promotions, your information may be disclosed to sponsors and third parties who help design, administer and implement the promotion, including in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment and aggregated data analysis. Your information also may be disclosed as required by law, such as on a winners list. Also, by entering a promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that promotion, including allowing the sponsors to use your name, voice, and likeness in advertising and marketing associated with the promotion in accordance with applicable law. All terms applicable to the particular promotion will be made available to you at the time you enter the promotion.
• CBS Interactive Web Sites and other CBS businesses. The CBS Interactive family continues to grow to include innovative CBS Interactive Web Sites that offer rich and deep interactive experiences. Where permitted by law, we may share information we collect about you within the family of CBS Interactive Web Sites and with CBS Corporation, our parent company, and other CBS-affiliated companies, so we can provide you with information about products and services that might interest you.
• Business transfers. We may share your information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a CBS Interactive Web Site, a merger, consolidation, asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
• Legal requirements. We may disclose information about our users, including contact information, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with other legal obligations, such as FCC requirements.
Please note that we may share information with advertisers as described in our overview of CBS Interactive online advertising. We also may share aggregated or anonymized information with third parties, including to help us develop content and services we hope you will find of interest or to help these third parties develop their own products and service offerings. This sharing of anonymized or aggregated information will not include information that could be used to individually identify you.
5. Your Choices
You can choose to enjoy content and features on CBS Interactive Web Sites without directly providing us with any information about you; however, as described above, some information may automatically be collected or may be requested so you can take advantage of certain features and services offered on CBS Interactive Web Sites.
You can opt out of receiving commercial email or text messages from a particular CBS Interactive Web Site or service by following the instructions contained in any such message. Please note that even if you unsubscribe to commercial messages, we still may need to send you communications relating to your use of the CBS Interactive Web Sites, such as service announcements.
You have a choice about the display of relevant advertisements by third parties; for more information, visit our overview of third-party online advertising.
You also may choose to opt out of our use of data that we collect about your visits to our business partners’ sites to customize advertising that we serve. To opt out, visit the CBS Interactive Business Partner Advertising Opt-Out page.
If you choose to share contact information with us, you may have the opportunity to update that information on a CBS Interactive Web Site. You also may update or amend your information by contacting us. If you ask us to shut down your account or delete your information, we will disable your account within a reasonable period of time. Please note that we may need to retain some information about you in order to satisfy our legal and security obligations. For example, some of your information may remain in back-up storage even if you ask us to delete it. In some cases, you may be entitled under local laws to access or object to the processing of information that we hold relating to you.
7. Protection of Information
We are committed to protecting your information. We have adopted commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect your information from loss, misuse, and alteration. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using CBS Interactive Web Sites but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. Please refer to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's web site for information on how to protect yourself from identity theft.
8. Transfer of Data Internationally
CBS Interactive is headquartered in the United States and has affiliate offices and partners in other countries. Please be aware that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of the CBS Interactive Web Sites may be collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or another country in accordance with applicable law. The privacy and data protection laws in another country may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using and participating in any CBS Interactive Web Site or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your information.
9. California Visitors
Residents of the State of California may request a list of all third parties to which a CBS Interactive Web Site has disclosed certain information during the preceding year for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please contact us. For all requests, you must put the statement "Your California Privacy Rights" in the body of your request and include the name of the CBS Interactive Web Site with respect to which you are requesting the information, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. Please note that we will not accept requests via the telephone, mail, or by facsimile, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.
10. Privacy Protections for Children
11. User-Generated Content
12. Third Party Sites
CBS Interactive Inc.
235 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Attn: Legal Department
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any privacy concern.
Thank you for using our service (the "Service") or visiting our web site ("Web Site"). The following policies, terms and conditions apply to all services and websites (including mobile websites) owned and/or operated by Kargo Global, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively "Kargo")
Your privacy is important to us and we provide this notice to explain our information practices and the choices you can make about the collection and use of the personal information you submit to us. In providing our products and services, we endeavor to comply with the industry standards established by the Mobile Marketing Association and set forth at www.mmaglobal.com
We may collect certain non-personally identifiable information when you complete a transaction, use our services, download our applications or visit many of our web pages or those of certain partners. Like most web sites, we use server log files. These files contain information such as Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser types, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform types, date/time stamps, the number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track the user's movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use, such as Individual IP addresses, device type, carrier, subscriber I.D. and the international mobile equipment identity number ("IMEI"). Such information is not linked to any personally identifiable information.
2. Web Site Customers
• In order to purchase products or services from Kargo, use certain parts of the Service or download an application we require that you provide us with certain personally identifiable information ("PII"). The types of PII that may be collected at this site include without limitation: name, address, e-mail address, mobile phone number and MSISDN (mobile station integrated services digital network number), geographic location information, credit card and billing information, download history, gender, age and demographic information, and customer generated content and/or information about your interests in and use of various products, programs, and services. We may combine PII and other information about you that we have with information we obtain from our business partners or third party data providers.
We may collect PII under the following circumstances:
• When you choose to register with Kargo and our network of products and services.
• When you sign up to receive one of our SMS alert messages or with our partners and we ask you to register with us.
• When you use Kargo products and services, even if you do not register or IP address.
• When you send messages sent to Publisher/Network short codes.
• If you enter one of our partner's sweepstakes and we ask for PII so that we may contact you in the event that you win the sweepstakes.
• When you choose to send us PII about yourself in an email or by completing an online form. We use this information only to contact you to respond to your inquiry or to fulfill your request.
• When you provide such information on a public forum. From time to time Kargo may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, news groups and other interactive services available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
• When you download an application.
• When you process a transaction to use a Service or contact customer service.
• When you 'check-in' to a Kargo site or are asked to provide this information for polls, questionnaires or other game like functions that are part of the Service and where you are prompted to enter such information.
Once collected, we will store your PII for a reasonable time for record keeping purposes. The information that we store is usually deleted as space requires or in the normal course of business. If you wish to request that we remove your information from our systems and no longer provide you services you may contact us at email@example.com. As permitted by applicable law, we may merge PII with public information or other information received from reputable vendors to update contact information or to enhance demographic profiles.
3. What does Kargo do with Collected Information?
Kargo's primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide each user with a customized experience. This includes personalization services, interactive communications, and many other services. In order to provide some services free of charge, we display advertisements. By knowing a little about users, Kargo is able to deliver more relevant advertisements and content, and hence better service, to our users.
Kargo may from time to time display targeted advertisements based on personal information on its web site(s), apps or via your mobile device. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria-for example, men aged 18-24 from a specific geographic area. Kargo does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad. By your voluntary use of our site you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will assume that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad. These third party advertising companies may collect information about your visits to our Website, such as number of times you have viewed an ad and where geographically the ad is served (but not your name, address, or other personal information). These companies may also use that information to serve ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you based upon aggregated demographic and location data. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Kargo may from time to time ask you to provide geographic location information. By voluntarily providing such information, you consent to its use in interactive forums, polls and elsewhere. Additionally, Kargo may obtain geographic location information via programming interfaces supplied by your mobile device service provider and may utilize it in the aforementioned ways. Such information may also be used for targeted advertising purposes, as described in the preceding paragraph.
We may also disclose anonymous, aggregated user statistics to third parties for a variety of purposes. For example, we may disclose how many individuals visited certain areas of our Web Site or purchased a particular type of product.
4. Children and Age Restrictions
Children under age 13 are currently not permitted to register for the Services or web sites. In the case of certain services that may be appropriate for children, we will require express parental permission for individuals between the ages of 13 and 17. Kargo will not contact children under age 13 about special offers or for marketing purposes without a parent's permission, and Kargo will only ask children under age 13 for personal information that is reasonably necessary to permit the child to participate in a particular service, activity or promotion. Otherwise, Kargo will not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13, without the express consent of a parent or guardian. Parents and/or guardians should understand that Kargo has no way to determine whether or not a child is using a mobile device purchased or registered by an adult or a service purchased using an adult's credit card. Kargo is not responsible for the consequences of such use. Users must be at 18 years of age to register for a Kargo subscription service or to order any other product or service that requires payment of a fee. By providing your billing information, you represent to Kargo that you are 18 years of age or older.
5. Your Privacy Rights and Right to Opt Out
Users can prevent future disclosures of their personally identifiable information, at no charge, by exercising their "opt out" rights using the "opt out" procedures described below:
1. You can send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
2. You can send mail to the following postal address:
Kargo Global, Inc.
36 East 12th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10003
Kargo's "opt out" policy is intended fully to comply with Section 1798.83 (c)(2) of the California Civil Code. California residents should click here for an explanation of their California Privacy Rights.
Cookies, by themselves, do not tell us your e-mail address or other personally identifiable information unless you choose to provide this information to us by, for example, registering on the Service. However, once you become a Customer and furnish the site with personally identifiable information, this information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie using your subscriber identifying information or by other means.
You may adjust your browser to reject cookies from us or from any other Web Site. Please consult the "Help" section of your browser for more information. However, certain areas of our site can be accessed only in conjunction with cookies or similar devices and you should be aware that disabling cookies or similar devices might prevent you from accessing some of our content.
7. Data Security
We have put in place certain physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to help prevent unauthorized access and maintain data security, such as use of firewalls and encryption. However, due to the open nature of Internet communications, we cannot guarantee that communications between you and us will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Visitors to the Web Site and Customers use our services and web sites at their own risk.
We may, from time to time, update this privacy notice and such changes shall be effectively immediately and without further notice to you.
9. Effective Date
This notice was updated on or about June 1, 2012.